Frequently Asked Questions
Q - Does Real Player cost anything to download?
A - Real Player is free.
Q - What do I need, to view the programs?
A - In order to view the programs the free RealPlayer software must be installed on your computer and you must have access through any corporate firewalls that may be in place between you and the Internet. The free RealPlayer software can be downloaded from the Internet by visiting the RealNetworks site here and older versions can be obtained on their legacy player page. Please look for the "Free Basic Player," not Real's premium player. The basic player is all that's required. Real makes their money by selling the premium player, so it may take some careful scrutiny to find the basic player link.
Q - Why Real Player and not Windows Media player or the Quicktime player?
A - Real Player is a reliable application which offers a version for most of the popular operating systems. Real specializes in streaming and therefore offers some important multimedia technologies that are not supported as well in Windows Media Player. Real also prevents fewer security issues to the originating institutions as it does not require the exposing IP adresses that lie behind the firewall.
Q - Can I change the size of the player screen?
A - The video for this program is actually "embedded" in an html page which does not allow the video to be "stretched out." The player is designed to fit in a screen display set to 800 by 600 pixels or larger. If you would like the player to take up as much space on the screen as possible, set your screen display to 800 by 600. This will not increase the actual resolution of the picture, but it will seem "larger" on the screen.
Q - Where can I get additional information on technical problems?
A - Troubleshooting information and technical assistance can be accessed through RealPlayer's support pages here.
System Requirements for Real Player 10
Real Player 10 is Real’s current player version.
Recommended system requirements:
- 500 MHz Intel Pentium III processor or greater (supports simultaneous record/playback features)
- 256MB RAM
- 52MB available disk space - 56Kbps modem, bare minimum. Broadband connection strongly recommended
- Full Duplex sound card and speakers
- 65,000-color video display card [set to display at 800x600](video)
- Windows 98/ SE / ME /NT 4.0 with service pack 6 or later, 2000 with Service Pack 2 or later, XP
- Internet Explorer 6.0 or later (5.0 minimum), Netscape 7.0 or later
System Requirements for RealPlayer 8
RealPlayer 8 is one player version older than RealOne Player. It is generally more tolerant of older, slower systems.
Recommended system requirements:
- 266 MHz Intel Pentium II processor or equivalent
- Windows 95/98, Windows ME (final release version only), Windows NT 4.0 with Service Pack 4 or later, Windows 2000, or Windows XP. Windows NT and Windows 2000 users must have Administrative rights to install RealPlayer.
- 32 MB RAM
- 16-bit sound card and speakers
- 65,000-color video display card
- - 56Kbps modem, minimum, broadband connection strongly recommended
-- Internet Explorer 5.0 or later, Netscape 6.2 or later
Real 10 player is now available for Mac OSX. It performs well and is compatible with any Mac recognized as OSX capable. G4 466Mhz or faster for best performance
(Users of Mac OS 9.2 or lower will have to use RealPlayer 8.)
Recommended system requirements for Real Player 8:
PowerPC G3 processor (233 MHz or faster)
Mac OS 8.5 or later
64 MB RAM and 128 MB virtual memory for machines with less than 233MHz G3 processor
56Kbps or faster modem
Internet connection and web browser (Internet Explorer 5.0 later or Netscape 4.76 or later)
Minimum system requirements (unlikely to yield a satisfactory video experience) for Real Player 8:
PowerPC 604 processor (200 MHz or faster)
Mac OS 8.1 or later
32 MB RAM and 64 MB virtual memory.
Internet connection and web browser (Internet Explorer 5.0or later or Netscape 4.76 or later)